Life is always better with choices -- and that’s true in dentistry, too. If you are interested in porcelain veneers, it’s important that you know about all your options with this treatment. Lumineers® are a less-invasive alternative offering the same dazzling results as traditional porcelain veneers. They are highly-customizable, beautiful, and absolutely transformative. Keep reading to learn more about this treatment from your trusted cosmetic dentist, Dr. Stirneman.
What Are Lumineers®?
Lumineers® are a special type of porcelain veneer, which is a popular cosmetic treatment that covers up the appearance of imperfect front teeth. Veneers are made from dental porcelain, a material that looks, acts, and feels just like your natural tooth enamel. They can be used to correct the following issues affecting the teeth that show when you smile:
- Chipped or broken teeth
- Uneven or off-center teeth
- Slight gaps between teeth
- Stained or discolored teeth that have not responded to professional teeth whitening
- Oddly textured teeth
- Misshapen teeth (too pointy, short, etc.)
- Other cosmetic imperfections
This cosmetic solution is reserved for aesthetically flawed but otherwise healthy front teeth. For broken teeth or those that have been structurally damaged, a stronger restorative solution may be required, like a dental crown. And while Lumineers® can have an “instant braces” effect for patients with minor dental misalignments, more severe cases should still be treated with orthodontics.
How Are Lumineers® Different From Traditional Veneers?
The most significant difference between Lumineers® and traditional veneers are that Lumineers® are thinner -- just 2 millimeters thick -- and can often be placed without preparing the tooth enamel first. Traditional veneers require a small portion of enamel be removed to make room for the extra layer to be placed on top. Otherwise, the smile may look bulky or the lips puff out. Because Lumineers® are far thinner, they do not produce this effect. Unlike traditional veneers, Lumineers® are reversible. If you wish to return to your natural smile for any reason later on, you can easily do so.
What Are the Benefits of Lumineers®?
Just like with traditional veneers, Lumineers® offer a number of advantages for patients who are dealing with cosmetically flawed teeth. Some of the most significant advantages of this aesthetic solution are listed below. Which would you enjoy most?
- Any number of cosmetic imperfections can be masked with Lumineers®.
- Lumineers® can be placed in just two visits to the dentist.
- Dental porcelain does not absorb stains like the natural tooth enamel, meaning the Lumineers® will stay dazzling white for years to come.
- No tooth reduction is needed, which often eliminates the need for anesthesia or numbing.
- Lumineers® are highly customizable to match the precise size, shape, and shade that will suit your smile best.
- Lumineers® are reversible, in the off chance you wish to return to your natural smile later on.
- Many patients are eligible candidates for Lumineers®.
Learn More About Lumineers® Today!
If you are interested in learning more about your options in cosmetic dentistry, including whether or not Lumineers® are a good idea for your smile, we invite you to get in touch with Dr. Stirneman’s office. Contact us to request an appointment today!